Data Release 2 Of BeanGenes
Data Release 2 contains a large number of new items. The following list
- The Mung bean map developed by Nevin Young, U of Minnesota, is included
along with the associated locus and probe information.
- The Gene_Class descriptions have been reordered to hopefully give a
better understanding of the relationships among genes. (Thanks to
Mark Bassett for this suggestion.)
- All of the DNA and protein sequence information for Phaseolus and
Vigna species contained in Genbank is now part of the database. This
includes the DNA sequence, unique sequence features, references to
the publication regarding the sequences, gene product information,
and derived protein sequences. Also, in the WWW version,
links are available to Blast, Genbank, EMBL and Genbank. (Thanks to
Martin Ferguson, Colorado State University for providing the Perl
script to convert the Genbank submission into the format necessary
for ACeDB. Thanks to John (J.D.) Barnett and Doug Bigwood at the USDA
National Agriculture Library for providing the links. That group is
responsible for the WWW interface to BeanGenes and all of the
databases at the NAL.
- Where appropriate, the WWW version contains links from the probe class
to REBASE, a restriction enzyme database. (Again thanks to the crew
at USDA/NAL for these links.)
- Pathology is another major new class of information. This class
contains information regarding the type of pathogen, the causal organism,
host species, distribution, symptoms, control, resistance alleles
described and images of the disease. (Thanks to Jeff White
formerly of CIAT, for arranging permission to use the images from
the CIAT publication "Bean Production Problems in the Tropics".)
- The Viral_Pathogen class contains information specific to viral
pathogens such as other names, the group the virus belongs to, the
disease the virus causes, known pathogenicity strains, vectors and
image of the pathogen.
- The Species class has been expanded to contain information about
fungal and bacterial pathogen taxonomy.
- Cultivar is another new class. This contains data regarding market
class, peidgree, development history and any known disease resistance
alleles it might contain. This class only contains information about
released cultivars. (Thanks to J. Rennie Stavely for providing
information regarding bean rust resistance genes found in different
- The Other_Germplasm class is similar to the Cultivar class, but it
contains information for genetic material other than Cultivars.